Originally Posted by Anonymous
Seems weird to me that 100+ Harvard students (30% or more of the students enrolled in this class) would choose this take home, open book, gut course exam as the time to "cheat". These students don't have to cheat to succeed (even the athletes who might not otherwise have been admitted), and the sheer numbers involved points to a mistake or misunderstanding, especially in an academic environment that has been encouraging "collaboration" for the last 30 years.

I'm sure the faction in the administration that believes there should be no admissions exceptions for athletes, ground their axes when they realized a number of athletes were involved.

It appears all these students can apply for readmission, and perhaps many will be back at Harvard in the future. However, I doubt those who were admitted based in part on their athletic prowess will get the same consideration the next time around.

People need to take responsibility for their actions, but there may be more going on here. I'm sure far worse has gone unpunished at Harvard.

Why do find it weird that 30% cheated? You stated that you were sure that far worse has gone unpunished at Harvard. The easy way presented itself & these students chose to take it. 70% chose to follow the rules.

Im sure these are wonderful, talented young adults but, they made a choice. It's difficult to read some of these posts (& articles) pointing a finger @ the professor or the university. When do parents step back and say "my kid made a mistake & he/she has to live with that". Sure it is embarassing & it probably isnt in the student athletes nature but, first semester (or third) @ a high pressure university, on top of the rigour of full time sport is a tough place to be. That was an easy answer to one final. They made a poor choice and now have to live with that.