Originally Posted by Anonymous
I would have to agree, The WSYL is a huge Money Grab, and a complete waste of time. Each of the Previous three years of it's existence have resulted in the final four teams being from Long Island. I have heard that it's such a great experience for the kids etc. Although it may be a great experience, you don't have to spend thousands of dollars to travel to Denver on the week of July 4th, to provide a Great experience for your son and his team. Several of the Organizations have taken trips to Maryland, North Carolina etc. to play out of state teams, visit college campuses, and watch college games. This folks, is a Great idea. The boys get to play against different teams, watch some great college lacrosse, and bond as a team, for a fraction of the price. The reality is, that it is a great marketing hammerhead for the Larger Organizations such as the Express, Igloo, 91 etc., if they win it, to further their recruiting efforts, by bragging about it on their websites. Winning or not winning this event will have zero affect on your sons future in the sport of Lacrosse. This event is designed to play to the ego of the parents, not the kids. Do you really think for a minute, that any of these boys would be crushed if their team decided not to participate? I have a son in the 2023 age group, as well as sons in older grades. Events such as the WSYL carry no weight with College Coaches, when they consider to recruit your son. Save your money, put it towards getting your son a tutor to raise their grades, have them volunteer their time to better their community, and become a better citizen. If they are a quality Lacrosse player, the College Coaches will find them. Put the thousands that you will spend on a trip to Denver, in their 529 College Savings Plan. Unless the Organizations on Long Island Collectively refuse the invitations to events like this, it will continue as intended, to fill the pockets of the Club Owners, the egos of the parents and nothing more. Buyer Beware...

Well said!

Why would you possibly care what other clubs/parents decide to do with their lives. If you do not like the WSYL, so be it, but don't come on here and say that it is a waste of time or a money grab. Some programs have decided that they want to participate in the event, the reason is irrelevant to you. Just because you think that some other trip or event is more worthwhile does not mean that every other option is meaningless Enjoy your trip to Maryland or North Carolina, I am sure that you and your family will have a great time, and it will be a great family/team bonding trip, that is awesome, but don't come on here and preach to everybody else that you know better. The fact that Long Island teams have won the last three years is also irrelevant to you, why should that be a reason to avoid the tournament. Long Island has some awesome lacrosse programs with a lot of history, but many programs across the county are starting to catch up, it's only a matter of time.And for what it's worth, despite your feelings, I bet your son would love to play in the WSYL, but that's my opinion, so you should not care.

Just caught this post... My son is going and I'm pissed that I have to lay out the money for this jerk o$$ event. I don't want him to be an outcast with his club, but come on! Rip off. The owner is the only one who actually gives a sh*% for his ego.