Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I am simply saying my kid was also ask to try out for Varsity he will go Monday, if he makes it he stays, if not he goes to JV, no questions or heavy thinking. I trust the coaching staff

I would talk to the coach to make sure that they are looking out for his interest in developing him as a player. It isn't as simple as trusting the coach. I was brought up as a freshman, and didn't play my senior year because I was so turned off by the whole experience. I was way to immature mentally, even though physically i could play at that level. 14 year olds are at a totally different place than 18 year olds.

On the flip side, my older son was brought up as a freshman, now a Senior. He didn't play much, but it made him a much better player. Competing against 17 and 18 year olds everyday in practice made him work very hard. Consequently, he went to his first summer showcase in early June and just killed it against kids in his grade. He received a ton of interest and committed later that year. To the other posters point, it's not the right decision for all, but my son definitely benefitted from it.