Originally Posted by Anonymous
NU put up a good fight but were outmatched today at home.

Poor offensive execution but I wouldn't say overmatched. Stick check changes game from 10-9 to 11-8 w 10 to play. That makes it more like a 14-11 game. And Northwestern dominated time of possession. They need to play better on offense, but outmatched is a bit of an overstatement.

Didn’t see the game so curious how the stick check against NU gave SB a goal (from 10 to 11)? And who’s to say she would have scored without it being illegal? Tough to argue that getting caught cheating cost them.

Draw controls NU 18-9. So it would stand to reason that if goal stands, NU has a 66.666% chance of getting possession. So at the very least, SB does not score 15 seconds later and there is a decent chance score is 10-10 by end of sequence. So yeah, it was a two goal swing.

Here is a bit more math for you... NU won 66.66% of the draw controls and SU scored 60% of the goals. I will take the later stat, you can have your draw math. How many additional draws and goals would NU have lost with a legal draw stick? By the way, you also lost on your home field.

I think the most interesting thing about this banter here is that SBU again got killed on the draw. It will come back to bite them if they don't figure it out. They have played a grand total of zero top 10 teams (at least in current ranking) and will not the rest of the season. Come NCAAs, if they haven't improved meaningfully in that area, they will not win the national championship. Their offense is great, but you cannot lose that many possessions against a series of top teams like they should face in the NCAAs and not run into problems at some point. I hope I'm wrong, but this is a problem.