Originally Posted by Anonymous
Syracuse Virginia was a great one today. Syracuse Fell short! very physical game

Syracuse was very physical. Helmets starting to have unintended consequences already?

They have maybe 3 players wearing helmets.
They have more like 8 [players wearing helmets, I said it before 'cause will never win because of the hectic, undisciplined style of play, but for the record, with a 60 seconds left UVA's goalie has the ball behind the crease, when the 'cuse attacker gets within 5 yards of her she dumps the ball in the crease, that i a goal circle violation and the ball should have been given to the 'cuse attacker on the dot with the goalie 3 meters behind, this is the rule as it is written and has not been changed
Section 18. Once a team gains possession of the ball in the goal circle and the ball is cleared the team must not return the ball to their goal circle until the ball has been played by another player.
NOTE: The Goalkeeper (or her deputy) gains possession of the ball in the goal circle and passes or carries it out of the goal circle with her crosse. It has been "cleared." To be “played”, the ball must leave her crosse and be touched by another player or her crosse must be checked by an opponent.

As usual in woman Lacrosse the refs don't know the rules and blew a major call that would have almost certainly have resulted in a game tying goal. the goal circle rules take up only 2 pages of the rule book and these morons can't get a simple call correct

Actually as usual the fans just don't know the rules. The UVA goalie in the last minute of the game dumped the ball back into the crease 2 times but both of those times the ball was passed to her while she was standing outside the crease so it is completely legal. Its why when someone tells you the refs completely ruined the game for a team I tend to not believe it.