Originally Posted by Anonymous
Why on earth are we talking about rec on Dukes page? I get what you are saying about needed parents for rec teams to build community but there is a reason why kids stop playing rec.(or at least mine) MOSTLY BECAUSE MY SON KNEW MORE ABOUT THE GAME THAN HIS COACHES.

To answer your question, we are talking about rec because people on this thread are basically saying that Dukes and the like make rec unnecessary and irrelevant when, in fact, rec programs are great feeders for and supplement the club experience in a less intense environment. Kids get good exercise, blow off steam and even sharpen their skills in rec even if the kid has greater lax acumen than the coach. Will you not let your son play wall ball because the wall can't teach him. How about face off speed drills. What does the grass know? Give me a break! Of course you can't make your kids rec experience meaningful with the attitude you have. Of course we can't discuss the countless examples of players who were successful even with rec comprising most of their experience. Point me to the link where I can share it and I'll give you something to read.