Originally Posted by Anonymous
I agree that most youth players are playing too much. But I would suggest that they are not playing enough "quality" lacrosse. If you are playing for your rec program and middle school you are playing too much lacrosse but not enough quality lacrosse. We recently made a change and dropped 2/4 options. My kid was playing:

1. Middle School Lacrosse
2. Rec Lacrosse
3. Club Lacrosse
4. Dukes Nationals

We are dropping:
1. Middle School Lacrosse
2. Rec Lacrosse
4. Dukes Nationals and replacing with Brotherly Love Nationals.

This leaves 2 out of 4 Just our regular club and Brotherly Love Nationals. We now anticipate our Spring/Summe schedule to be only 1-2 practices a week and the Sunday NXT League. We have literally three more days of family dinners PER week which is amazing. We have actually planned a couple of road trips this Spring as the NXT League is every other week.

We have never done this before, the time commitment is HALF yet I feel like we are picking a quality versus quantity approach. I am not claiming to have the solution but half the lacrosse time commitment yet play better quality....I am optimistic.

Sounds much better. Brotherly Love is not practicing this summer? What is the regular club team? For me, my son will play middle school because they are introduced to the varsity offense and because its not that long of a commitment. He also plays rec because all of his friends play. Plus, the rec team only has a one hour practice on Saturday and a game on Sunday. Also, Rec and Middle School will be done by June. Then he'll play his club team in the summer. He'll practice 2x a week, play in 5 tournaments and be wrapped up by the second week of July. This really means that the summer vacation is only jammed up for a few weeks. I'm not sure why people want to do multiple club teams. Why not club OR Brotherly Love? Not criticizing... just curious. The two most fun options are always MS and Rec, in my (and my son's) opinion.