Originally Posted by Anonymous
Are many 2021 players up on varsity

There will be plenty of 9th grade kids on most Varsity rosters. how much playing time is debatable, as is whether they would be better off on JV

That's the dilemma. Is a 9th grader better off on Varsity, practicing with Varsity players, but getting limited playing time? Or, is she better off being a big shot, with a lot of playing time on JV? This is my first time through this rodeo as my oldest is now in 9th. She was asked to play with Varsity for the indoor KK winter league, and was told to attend winter practices as well (only a handful of 9th graders were). But I'm assuming this, by no means, assures that she will be on Varsity in the spring. Any thoughts from those who have had older daughters go through both scenarios? She has her heart set on making Varsity but I'm not sure it is the best for her development. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

If you haven't already, I would start by asking her why she wants to play varsity so badly. As others have said, there are plusses and minuses to both options and every situation is different (strength of each team, coaches, teammates, playing time, etc.). My daughter never had any plans to play beyond HS, so she was happy to play on age and get more playing time while she could. Others could be future top recruits and playing with and against better competition could help them develop. It's a personal decision you need to make with your daughter based on what's best for her.