Originally Posted by Anonymous
Are many 2021 players up on varsity

There will be plenty of 9th grade kids on most Varsity rosters. how much playing time is debatable, as is whether they would be better off on JV

That's the dilemma. Is a 9th grader better off on Varsity, practicing with Varsity players, but getting limited playing time? Or, is she better off being a big shot, with a lot of playing time on JV? This is my first time through this rodeo as my oldest is now in 9th. She was asked to play with Varsity for the indoor KK winter league, and was told to attend winter practices as well (only a handful of 9th graders were). But I'm assuming this, by no means, assures that she will be on Varsity in the spring. Any thoughts from those who have had older daughters go through both scenarios? She has her heart set on making Varsity but I'm not sure it is the best for her development. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

If the JV team plays in a competitive league it may not hurt her to develop. However even if she doesn't play as much on varsity the practice with them may be beneficial.

Getting daily reps in with Varsity in my estimation would be better. Competing against better players everyday will push her to get better.