Originally Posted by Anonymous
Ok, When is enough lacrosse enough? How many games, practices are appropriate for our kids? Is there a tipping point? Too much of a good thing, or never can have too much? Of course all these boys are well rounded multi-sport athletes as well. What time do they close their school books at night after practicing or playing a game, or traveling to and fro? We keep piling more and more responsibility on kids. We ask them to make commitments to tournaments and forgo vacations (you know this happens), and everyone on here is ok with lacrosse taking bigger and bigger chunks of time. Really? And just because your kid enjoys something, that doesn't mean you can't step in as a responsible parent and say "enough".
Well this is going to sound crazy, but we actually speak with our son and make it clear that he's allowed to say if he feels like it's too much. Again, I know the whole parent/child communication thing doesn't fit what you want to frame, but I'm sorry to say that it's what we do. If you want to try to say "Oh yeah, riiiiiight!" then maybe you should take a look at yourself or whoever it is that you have such a problem with and to work on communications skills.

Regarding when "enough is enough/too much", it's a valid question for certain. And I would assume it's one that school (probably more so high school than middle school) athletes need to address. But this isn't new. Nor does it have anything to do with the sport of lacrosse and/or club lacrosse. I think that having your child learn to balance multiple challenges (school work, sports, friends, etc.) is a very critical life skill that parents should be working very hard to teach. Because, as it turns out, life only gets harder. And I feel like the coddling that so many parents are doing with their children right now is only serving to put more and more maladjusted "adults" into the world.

[/steps off of soapbox]
Have fun.

We do, thanks!

At the expense of your son.