Originally Posted by Anonymous
If you are talking about Team Smithtown, I don't understand why you would have a problem with JV/Varsity coaches wanting kids to play with school team. Are you talking in H.S. or middle school ? Smithtown West has been a nationally ranked program for a while, sending many players to top D-1,D-2 and D-3 colleges. If you're son is a good player he will be looked at playing for Smithtown West. Now Smithtown East- not as good, but they still have players play top college lax. I'm sure you already know this. If your son was on one of top 3 club teams in high school and went to S.E. , then I think you may have a decision to make. If he is going to West , I would have him play for H.S. team. If he is talented he will get looked at. The varsity/J.V. coaches want kids to play together for cohesiveness and to learn their system. Is it selfish ? Maybe, but like I said the programs are some of the best on L.I. and I'm sure they want to keep it that way.

A lot of kids (turtles/91/outlaws/express) that have been playing club for years are about to enter HS.. I would think playing AA with club is a lot better than being on East or West teams, and for the coaches to hold it against the kids is ridiculous.. When my kid enters this age, I will look to the club to help him get college looks not these selfish coaches.

How is this any different with st Anthony's or Chaminade? There is no difference and if people have a problem with public school coaches then they should also have a problem with the coaches from those two being the directors of a club. The only difference between the school types are the sources of school revenue. Otherwise the exact same conflicts exist and the kids feel the same if not more pressures not to stray, which is just wrong. How many st Anthony's kids play for another club not called express. I bet less than 15% brave souls of the JV and varsity rosters.

No difference, its all wrong!