Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Powderfinger
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Any opinions bypassing a school team that plays summer lax (Not free of charge), versus playing on one of the many elite travel teams instead?
Will the school coach hold it against the kid for not wanting to play with the school team during the summer?

I'd say it depends on the coach, and the kid. I've had three kids go through various summer leagues and it's generally not taken seriously, especially as the summer progresses. By season's end, everyone has lost interest or gone away and sometimes not even a full squad shows up. Furthermore, the coaches are not supposed to coach the summer league (although some do), so it's a parent or an alumnus coaching so if your intent is to impress a coach you may be wasting your time.

I'd ask other parents in your district to see how it's played out in the past in your area.

The problem we have is our varsity coach and an A.D. from a neighboring district coach the summer team and they charge quite a bit without making cuts or holding tryouts. They are also forming a younger "travel" team, and yes-if you don't pay you won't play for the school. My son and several of his friends tried out for and would like to play on legit travel teams but it was strongly "suggested" that they stay with the team to "build the program". Coincidently, the coachs son made varsity as a freshman last year, barely played and got pummeled when he did but that's politics 101.
So, I guess that there are many different situations, with extrememely varying factors which contribute. Why do so many folks seem to cite THEIR circumstances, and determine that THEIR course is the only way to go? I would think that the schools position on this matter, the students ability, the PAL teams attributes, the PAL coach's policy, the childs intensity level, and many more points make each scenario a bit different. It may be that what you believe is the "only way to go", may not be the only way to go.