Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Understood. But by your comments you are admitting the girls are older. You got suckered right into admitting it without even knowing it. Thanks for playing come again. I'll be here all week. But just a touch on your point. If a team is labeled a certain year whether it be a 2021, 2022 or 2023, then that is the age that should be playing on the field. You can't lable yourself as one of the best teams in the country at a certain age group and have kids that are older. Remember you can't have it both ways.

Not from MD, but to be honest, I think this is one of those LI excuses. The school age cutoff for Maryland is calendar year, Jan 1 to Dec 31. On LI and some other places, it's Sept 1 to Sept 1. My daughter has played in the UA tournament the last few years. I remember looking at the birthdates two years ago out of curiosity and while there were quite a few Maryland girls that were on the older side of their grade (that is born Oct-Dec), the two Maryland teams, Baltimore and DC, to my recollection, were almost entirely "on age". Just about every other region, including our own, had several girls that were a year older due to staying back/starting late. If you went to a calendar year age bracketing like soccer for instance, the Maryland girls that I saw would all still make the cutoff. The ones that wouldn't were from other regions.

I think the holdback/age thing is just sour grapes. The Maryland girls are good. Give them their due.

Sorry, I think i reversed the school cutoff dates. But the point holds.