Originally Posted by Anonymous
If they played by birth years and there are no holdbacks, then why aren't these teams at the Nationals. The folks at the NATIONALS cited that age discrepancy was the reason the big MD teams where not there. I really could give a [ChillLaxin], but 12 months is a huge thing when we are discussing 11/12 year olds. Especially girls. I still think the Maryland girls are very good lax players. Very good.

The age rule has nothing to do with why the MD teams don't go to the nationals. M&D plays in 5 summer tournaments already. There is no reason to play in more. I can tell you at 2021 there is not a single girl on M&D or Skywalkers that have repeated a grade or went to prefirst or anything like that. There is no competition at the "Nationals" and it's not worth making everyone travel to wherever they have them each year to play crappy teams from other parts of the country.

You are also forgetting that everyone from other parts of the country have helped to condition the MD teams so that they are not motivated to go down to Nationals. I really cannot blame the MD teams for not wanting to go down to Richmond, or NC or any of those other destinations to play. Yeah - there is a chance to play some great games - but, there are also crappy games. And who will they end up playing down there - YJ or TG or Steps? That's funny, they're passing. Why do they need to go down there and leave MD? Everyone else goes to MD for at least 4, 5 or maybe 6 tournaments. They don't need to go anywhere to find the good games. Unlike YJ - who has to go to MD to play MnD, heros, skywalkers, TLC and Capital - those guys don't need to go far and can have some really competitive games. I don't think it's 100% because of the age cut off. Why do they need to leave home and pay for hotels and etc - when LI and everyone else will come to them. Did you ever notice at Nationals there are some MD teams that do show up that you've never heard of.

Actually, M&D and SW are playing out of town all summer with the exception of 1. Summer Genesis in Hershey, Champions Cup in Richmond, Lax for the Cure in NJ and G8 in NJ. None of those girls have repeated a grade, it's just not worth going to nationals to play another out of town tournament that late in the summer. They can play all the top teams in all 5 of the tournaments they already play in. Why go out of state to play teams from Michigan and Indiana and other places that can't compete with them. Yes, they may play YJ in the playoffs, but they will have already played them a few times already. What's the point other than to post it on your website that you are National Champions. That's funny when YJ hasn't beaten SW or M&D for years, but sure, they are the National Champions.

In terms of the safety argument....Don't LI girls start playing Varsity lacrosse in 8th and sometimes 7th grade? Our girls can't do that. So you are telling me you aren't worried about their safety playing against girls 4 or 5 years older but you are worried about playing girls that may be 3 or 4 months olders? Makes no sense.