Former University of Delaware men’s lacrosse head coach Bob Shillinglaw, who closed out a nationally-acclaimed career last spring, was honored on Friday with the United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association Howdy Myers Man of the Year Award.

The presentation was made as part of the annual USILA Convention Luncheon in Baltimore. The award is presented in honor of one of the sport’s most outstanding coaches and honors an individual who has contributed to the game of lacrosse in a capacity over and above the normal efforts and in so doing, has shown unselfish and untiring devotion to the game.

“I am thrilled and honored to have been selected to receive such a prestigious award,” said Shillinglaw. “This is a tremendous honor for me to be recognized by my peers. I am especially humbled to be added to the long list of previous distinguished award winners.”

For nearly 50 years, Shillinglaw has been a champion for the game of lacrosse, whether it be as a standout player at North Carolina, a longtime college coach, popular summer camp coordinator, or key figure in the growth of the sport at all levels, most specifically in the state of Delaware, but certainly beyond.

After 39 years at the helm of the Delaware men’s program, Shillinglaw retired following the 2017 season, leaving a strong legacy as one of the most important figures in the history of the game.
His lifetime of contributions to the sport are impressive and he will continue to grow the sport after his retirement. He has certainly paid it forward as many of his former players and assistant coaches have gone on to also be key figures in the sport.

Shillinglaw ended his coaching career with a 42-year record of 334-320 overall. He ranks among the winningest college coaches all-time and his 654 career games coached is a record that will be hard to break. Before arriving at Delaware in 1979, he coached two seasons at Massachusetts Maritime Academy.

He was a two-time USILA National Coach of the Year, led six teams to the NCAA Tournament, and led his 2007 squad to the NCAA Final Four. He coached countless All-Americans and all-conference selections during his tenure.