Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Anybody surprised by how few lax players also play basketball.Do you think it is a pretty good indicator of natural athletic ability versus trained lacrosse ability and skill? Are kids just content with running winter track? After all you get just as good of a workout playing BB - it is just a very difficult sport to play without embarrassing yourself ...

If you get off the island and take a look around, maybe you would see that to get to the top level of BB you would need to play AAU ball. From what I've seen with family down south - AAU's summer schedule is just as ridiculous as club lacrosse. At some point, by the time they get to high school, the girls will need to decide which sport will be their 'first sport'. You can only be in one place on any given weekend during the summer. I think most lax players tend to gravitate toward indoor track in high school because they are just looking for something that will keep them in shape for the spring season. Depending on the school your daughter goes to - they may not have a prayer of making the basketball team if they do not have the AAU ties.

It also depends on your town and the bball feeder programs that may or may not be available. In my town, there was a local church league but CYO was close to non-existent. My kids all played bball in the local church league, they all played a season or two of CYO and one played a few seasons of AAU. So they had bball backgrounds and enjoyed playing in school although it was none of their #1 sports. If you come from a town with no feeder program, it's not likely a kid with no experience is going to try out or make a bball team. It's a lot easier to walk on to winter track, where all are welcomed even if you are not going to be a big point scorer for the team.

AAU was indeed a big summer, and actually year-round, commitment. I remember being away for close to a week shuttling between AAU and lacrosse tournaments one summer. I tallied the number of times we crossed the Susquehanna. After that, a choice had to be made because that was insanity.