Originally Posted by Anonymous
Looking for some feedback/opinions with respect to defensive minded coaches and teams at this age level. For most, this is the first year they can go long pole but not many teams seem to have the separate coaching for the defensive players (i.e., defensive coordinator) or separate during practices for defensive specific drills. Dedicated defensemen seem to get lumped in with the group -- mainly an offensive game -- and aren't given the detailed instruction. We're committed to a team this year but, looking forward, want to keep eyes and options open... even when it comes to position clinics/camps (limited for D as well). Any experiences or thoughts (past/present)?

I'm not sure about the 2026 91 coaches specifically but the 91 program itself runs a weekly clinic over the winter that is broken down by position. It is included in each players tuition. Defensemen train specifically on defense, train with long poles and skills related to playing the position. My kid did it last year and got a lot out of it, plus it was fun. Last year they had Nicky Polanco of the Bayhawks running it.

If you son wants to play with a pole, the first part of that can/should be done at home. Start with a goalie shaft so you don't have to cut down an expensive long pole. Goalie shafts are less expensive and are 40" long which is perfect for a new pole. Get him outside doing wall ball and learning to handle the longer shaft. Then roll out some ground balls and practice scooping them on the run. If he's liking it all get him a defensive head like the STX Hammer and have it strung with a high pocket (better for ground balls). Once he's comfortable with the stick, send him to practice with it.