Originally Posted by Anonymous
Because it is really hard to attain great, or even good, stick skills. And the game becomes very difficult without them. There are plenty of great athletes (soccer included) that transition over to lacrosse and have an impact at the high school level, and even at some colleges. But they will play defense or defensive middie. The reason your soccer stud won't get passed the ball very often is because turnovers in lax are a killer. And your soccer stud likely will have terrible stick skills. Lax is harder to sport to master. Fact. That's why there are so many soccer players in comparison. And yes, with those huge numbers, harder to advance. But also a MUCH easier game. And boring as heck as well.

The only way anyone gets better in any sport is to play and touch the ball. What's your take on kids scoring 10 in PAL while everyone clears out for the same kid to go to goal? Do you really think there is only 1 kid that could do that? Wouldn't it be better to move the ball around after all its PAL and no one cares. If the sport had better coaches, more kids would be touching the ball, more kids would be playing and the product would be better from top to bottom

Would agree with that. Better coaching would help a lot. Particularly by inspiring passion for the sport. Because, as with anything, the amount of passion, and therefore individual drive, is what ultimately creates success. So better coaching would help. But stick skills aren't developed only during practices and games. They're developed in the backyard and in the basement, playing around with your stick every day.

I also agree with what is implied by your description of the game situation where 1 kid goes to goal all the time. Part of the problem is that at younger ages, there should be much more skill development and less game play. But better coaching would also help.

I always hear people say that stick skills don't matter. Give me the athlete. I say give me both. The better the stick skills at younger ages, the more passing, the better spacing and the better team play there is. So, work on stick skills with your kid/kids. That's what ultimately allows a team to function.

Great points. Bad coaching is driving good kids and athletes out of this great game at record numbers and its a shame. The game has really changed for the worse since my oldest went through. People talking about scholarships in 2nd grade and clubs fleecing kids year round when all a 2nd grader needs is a wall. What ever happened to playing 7v7 on smaller fields at the younger ages? I thought that was going to happen? I think It would really help keep more kids involved

I'm confused. Where are the facts to support your notion that kids/athletes are leaving the game in record numbers. More and more colleges are offering girls lacrosse throughout the country. Maybe your idea 7 v 7 seems great to you but again please give us some facts not just your bloviating opinion.