Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Api is weak this year they don’t have a good elite Fogo he went to the hawks.They will not be able to control the ball without winning the face off. Crabs crushed them .

This is simply not true. My son played his first game as a member of API and from what I saw, the "scrimmage" was fairly competitive. Score was 2-2 after one quarter, and 4-2 at halftime. Final score was 9-4 (which included one goal at the final whistle for the benefit of Crabs). API had three injured players that did not participate -- including one which would take a good number of faceoffs, and faceoffs were conducted by committee. Despite that, Crabs did not have any significant advantages at the faceoff "x". What I found interesting is that Crabs played a significant amount of time in a zone defense -- a little more than a quarter -- and API, despite the reputation we had heard prior to joining, played no zone defense at all. Both Crabs goalies made several tremendous saves.

All teams, save and excepting a handful, are at the front end of their training and development for the year, and API is no exception. Yes, API lost the scrimmage, but played well, and might have scored a couple of more had the "pipes" been kind, or been prepared to face a zone defense. I agree, that the 2023 kid playing up is talented, but like any player, can be defensed if given the time to prepare. Great afternoon, and I am very happy that coaches from Crabs and API arranged the scrimmage and the opportunity to get in some high level work.

How could API's offense not be prepared to play against a zone defense? They've played against a zone in practice since 3rd grade. The Crabs played a lot of zone last year because their defense wasn't as strong as most teams, so no surprise they showed some zone. The question is whether either of these teams can improve upon last years disappointing seasons.