Originally Posted by Anonymous
Espn's Mark Dixon is a shill for md roughriders. Thats why he says that.

All these clubs are adding franchises all over the country: True, 3d, T9-1, c2c, Madlax, etc., then pulling together the best for their "National" teams to play at the highest profile events. Even Roughriders is adding a third franchise. Only Dukes takes a different approach. Instead of having several franchises to pull from, they take the kids that are from clubs that don't have national franchises and make up a national team. It's a bit uncoordinated because most of the clubs would prefer to not have their kids playing for other teams, so the line up of the Dukes changes daily depending on who is available.

You may be right, but he also has a point. A National team for 9 yr. olds? "High profile" events for 9 yr. olds? It's laughable.

I think you are missing the point. It is about playing with better kids and there will always be a market no matter what the sport, simply because it works. My kid plays on one of these teams and he plays on an excellent club team. He enjoys playing with "different" kids and getting reps in and I appreciate the different coaching perspective thet it provides. At the end of the day a compilation of different coaches with differing perspective will result in a broader experience and even at 9 years old that is a good thing. I have seen kids that play for the same rec coach who then happens to be his club coach and in some cases his father as well and they only play the game, one way. If that works for you fine but I prefer diversity, there are a lot of little "nuggets" to be learned out there and no single coach knows all of them.