Originally Posted by CageSage
Some additional editorial content on the new rules follows.

From George While, Founder, Recruiting Sports Network

Speaking as a former coach of a smaller intercollegiate athletic program, I sincerely hope culture change happens, because there are consequences in the new rules that affect the balance between larger and smaller schools .... coaches will now be permitted unlimited communication with recruits (including not only phone calls, but also via text messages and social media platforms). While this provides more access and interaction between coach and prospective student-athlete, it will place more demands on assistant and head coaches' time. Particularly in the case of assistant coaches, they will be more limited in their ability to devote time to true coaching related and player development areas thereby limiting both their athletes' and coaches' development.

The potential recruits will most likely become inundated with communication from schools, potentially causing academic distractions at a time when the NCAA has tightened up rules for eligibility for this current freshman high school class.

This development may, in fact, be a rare residual benefit for mid-majors and below as this earlier access to recruits will lead to more early commitments to BCS-level schools. Accordingly, lower-tier programs will have access to late-bloomers and under-the-radar prospects (if I was a mid to low major coach, I would hold off and recruit these leftovers).

Sage, does this mean freshman (or any age for that matter) girls laxers will now be able to be contacted by coaches via text and phone and not have to go around the rule and contact club reps prior to junior year?