Originally Posted by Anonymous
Bethesda picked up 4 holdbacks from the Club Blue 2023 that won HOCO AA last year - watch out for Bethesda - older, stronger, faster

Not trying to be confrontational just curious. So these 4 studs from Club Blue are repeating a grade this year or were they just playing up and now dropping to the appropriate grade? It seems some clubs are actually letting kids play "down" simply based on the fact that the player/family has an "intent" to reclassify.

And this is news to you just now . . . ?

The only similar situation worse than this are kids reclassifying based upon their intent to do 1 (or 2) PG year(s)!

This is not news at all I am just curious how it is accomplished. My son plays for Brotherly Love 2024 and we played Bethesda at Elite Eight. We were down something like 6 goals to none within a quarter and were lucky to come back and beat them by a a single goal. However, I was struck by the age disparity between our team and theirs. I know for a fact we have two boys on the Brotherly Love 2024 team that are over age and have summer birthdays. But every other player is compliant with the US Lacrosse guidelines. We have all watched enough youth lacrosse to "know" when a kid is overage despite all the vehement objections that they aren't. Kids just move differently and more athletically as each year passes. Again, I was curious if 4 boys are dropping down...how is it being accomplished. Our team has gotten significantly better and the coaches added 5 new players but I don't believe we can compete with four 2023's reclassified.

I think that if a child was Born the year before but after the Sept 1st date then they are compliant with US Lacrosse guidelines, regardless of what grade they are in.So your two boys should play with the 2023's. And the 4 reclassifying boys in question should produce a birth certificate to be fairly able to play down.

In general, moving to an age-based system can't happen soon enough for pre-HS level boys and girls!