Originally Posted by Anonymous
in general is it bad to get switched from attack or midfield to defense in girls lacrosse?

No.

If your daughter is good its the easiest way to get on the field. Most me first parents want their kids scoring goals, pitching or playing quarterback. You also see on the club teams kids move to defense rather than take the demotion to a lower team. If she moves there freely and works on her game Defense is a great position especially if you are smart with quick feet. Lots of strategy that can decide games. Go D!

By far the toughest field position to play. Many are asked to play because they are the only ones who can do it. Only low level coaches who know very little put a liability on D. You can hide on attact and just move the ball and if you can run you can get away with playing midfield but if you are lazy , slow , not athletic , weak etc... You will be exposed on D. Plenty of slow lazy attack, and a lot of middies who are very average can hide on the field. Keep in mind I am not talking about stud attack or midfield players obviously they would most likely be able to play D. Mistakes on D are costly and obvious to a good coach . You must also be selfless (which is a not taught by many girls lacrosse parents) .

You really need to get over yourself. Most are asked to play defense because they are semi athletic and don't have the stick skills to play middy. There is a reason a lot of the better colleges don't recruit defenders and will convert middies to play defense.While I agree you can hide kids at attack I will guarantee you if your kid had the ability to put the ball in the back of the net they would be playing offense as you can convert any athlete into a decent defender.

No, you can't. Lazy, selfish, slow, low lax IQ players will be exposed instantly at the higher levels. I believe the previous post pointed out that the studs who play attack and midfield could make the switch but the rest would quickly be exposed.

The top colleges recruit the best athletes. If the best athlete on the field is playing D they will get recruited ahead of average athletes at the other positions. Coaches do not recruit at high school games as most are non competitive with few legit players on the field.

Go watch two top club teams play and I guarantee their defenders are getting recruited. If they are really athletic they will be recruited over all othe players with the exception of the true studs.