Originally Posted by Anonymous
You can't compare the public schools in PA and MD to Long Island schools. Long Island has one of the top school systems in the United States.

even the worst private school is better than the best public school. if you have ever gone and seen one you would know. if you can afford private its a no brainer. public schools everywhere broken. public school supporters are just people who don't have money for private.

Completely false, and people who actually SPEND that money to send their kids to private schools (like I do) know that. Sounds like you are just someone who wishes they had the means to send their kids private and are frustrated by the shortcomings of their public school system.

As a point of reference, I have three kids, two of whom attend private, one who attends public (not in LI, PA or MD, but in CT) and the one who attends public was accepted at a very competitive private school but chose to decline because of overall fit for him as a student.

Granted, many public schools are facing problems, but there are quite a few that rival even top private schools.

The only reason this is lacrosse related is because the private schools allow 2 year reclass for students. Many kids go to private school to take advantage of that. Otherwise this subject has nothing to do with lacrosse. But you are correct. There are public Schools that are as good as private schools. NOT putting any schools down here but long Island has great schools. There are parents making over 25 million a year that use the public schools. It has nothing to do with being able to afford it. There are communities on Long Island that pay over 100k a year in property and school taxes. I would bet the average school and property tax on Long Island is around 25k. Teachers are making well over 100k a year. So the pay scale is on par or better than private schools. Tenure is a problem in the public schools but nothing is perfect. When the National list comes out for best public schools in the nation Long Island has so many schools in the top 100. We are spoiled here with our schools because there are schools in the top 100 list that I would never send my kid to but when compared to the rest of the country it is a top 100 school. Long Island schools also compete with the top 100 schools on lists that includes private schools. People sent kids to public or private schools for many reasons. At the end It is hard to say any kid would have done better in life if they attend one or the other on long island. I understand based on what I read in many states the public schools are terrible and you have to send a kid to private but anyone who knows anything on the subject knows Long Island is not one of those places.

Which is all to say that Mr PA doesn't know jack sh*t about Long Island!!