Originally Posted by Anonymous
Because there are not enough players to fill the number of teams on Long Island and the better players try out for the top 6 teams. Hockey has less players but less teams. Baseball has many more players than lax. So with the few players and the many teams for lacrosse one would expect only a hand full of A or AA teams. Does Long Island have more than 6 A/AA teams in any age group? If so who are they?

[

My kid plays on what you would call AA. I call it A. I don't see a separate category of AA for three teams on Long Island. Sorry. I see A and B. Top 5 are A with two or three on top which you would call AA. The rest are B. It makes more sense to call the top 6 A and the rest B. It makes no sense to have three teams AA teams and the next three A and the rest B. I will tell you as with my older kid who also plays on what you would call AA and I call A -- the colleges don't care. They know which tournaments are the good ones and they watch the top division. Does not matter if it is called A or B or AA. At the prospect camps they don't care or ask if a kid plays A ,B or AA.

Cite any other mature sport where such an assinine approach to classification exists. And we're talking about Long Island, where despite growth in other areas, is still top 2 in the country for the game. There are more teams on LI at EVERY age group that deserve to be considered A than just 5! In any reasonable classification system, every tier will have teams that comprise the top, middle and bottom of EACH tier - that is accomplished by five teams how?!

Again, missing the point that any category will have top, middle, and bottom teams at that category You are saying there are no middle or bottom tiers to A based upon the claim that there aren't enough players to do so. Huh? The middle and bottom tier teams in any category will lose more often than not to the top tier BY DEFINITION, yet your logic makes them B? Yet, the middle A tier teams dominate the (true!) B teams, and even most of the bottom A tier teams consistently beat the B team. The same thing plays in in any classification system, be it A, B, and C. Only A, a being the highest classification, warrants special 'recognition' of its top tier, or AA. The current shortsighted/exclusivity system taken is why most non-academic tournaments have improper team participation and very uneven levels of play, a classic symptom of immature sport and an inhibitor of the sport moving up the maturity curve! [/quote]

This is too far over the top. Fine a team that fits your child, your financial, etc, and move on from there. [/quote]

What you are referring to is the micro level - lax as a sport at the macro level is mired in an existing situation where growth is being stifled (not stopped - there IS a difference) by the status quo. This status quo is maintained by ignorance of the problem or an outright resistance to change by the self-proclaimed elite of the lax world - either way, it is preventing the sport from maturing to what it can be. The above classification approach wasn't over the top for baseball, soccer, hockey, etc - it is what is necessary for any youth sport to be considered "well organized", which in turn allows participants and teams to play at appropriate levels, tournaments to provide proper experiences as competition, etc. In total, organization at the macro level will increase the experience at the micro level - not sure why anyone looks at this through such a myopic POV, and can't see why the current system is holding lax back.