Originally Posted by Anonymous
is there consistent quality of teams at WSYL?

It is billed as the national championship, but it hardly qualifies as truly being such due to WSYL being age-based, while the rest of the lacrosse world is (unfortunately) grade-based. Many better teams, particularly from the mid-Atlantic, do not wish to field teams specifically for this tournament, so they don't participate in the qualifiers.

I know , I know you need to see your 14 yr old dominate a bunch of 12 yr olds. So it being age based steals all the fun from you

You obviously can't read - my inclusion of the word "unfortunately" should have clued you in on where I stand, and flies in the face of your conclusion . . . try harder next time!

In my opinion it is the only gauge of a true champion ... just because most tournaments are grade based that does not make them a better gauge of who is the best, in fact quite the opposite. Not really that hard to win in a grade based tournament, just depends on how low you're willing to stoop with the holdbacks. I've seen many an outstanding lacrosse team with amazing players and plays get pushed around by kids obviously older and of course "win". Anyone could coach a team of older players and "win" a tournament. The WSYL and any other age based tournaments are the ONLY tournaments that qualify as any sort of championship etc.