Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My daughter is a 2027. She's learning to play goalie and has potential. Does anyone team offer training? Is it to early to do travel?

Too early to do travel is a personal and family decision. Once you're in, you're probably in for good - need to ask yourself (and your family) if you want to spend the next 10 June/July's traveling up and down the Jersey Turnpike every other weekend. I'd be more concerned about being too early to decide on playing goalie. At 8 years old, kids should be playing all positions to learn the game, and then if she decides she wants to play goalie, she will have a much better understanding of what's going on in front of her. It will help socially too - the goalie is stuck in the crease while the rest of the girls are running drills, talking and having fun. Plus all that equipment's not very comfortable in 90 degree heat. Don't rush it, plenty of time.

One more thing I thought of as I hit Post - What if there is a better goalie in her class or ahead of her at school? If all she knows is playing goalie, she rides the bench. If she develops field awareness, stick skills, ability to play defense, etc. she has the option to play in the field instead.