Originally Posted by Anonymous
I don’t know how much of this stuff about the coaches is true, but I would hope that a background check that includes a drug test is conducted for all coaches each year. You don’t know if the person coaching your child has a history of violence, is a drug addict or alcoholic. I’m not judging anybody, because these are terrible disorders that I have dealt with in my own family, but if you have an addiction, you should address it and not bring it to the playing field. Our children need to be playing in a safe and healthy environment. A background check that includes CPS records, criminal records and rehab stays should be done and the parents should be made aware if there are any issues. At that point, they should decide if the coach stays or goes. If what you said about a coach being drunk in front of the team is true, he should have been arrested and not allowed to coach at any level. The same goes for any coaches that show up high or act violently.

You're nuts. I'm sure they do a background check (they do them at rec league level), drug test probably not. It's not like coaches are making a fortune leading club teams, probably would walk rather than submit to a drug test.....I'd walk and I'm clean. Second, parents should never be allowed to decide whether a coach stays or goes. They only get to decide whether their kid stays or gos. Third, arrested for being drunk in front of the team? Bad choice...yes, should be fired....yes, arrested...on what charge?