Originally Posted by Anonymous
There is no hysteria or foaming at the mouth? Simple rule either you agree or disagree. I agree you don't take the free clear. Like someone said do you really remember the score later. I have been on youth teams that have come back from 8/9 goal deficits. How do you learn to climb the mountainy if you never face adversity. That is the great thing about this game you can score goals in bunches. Jeez, scoring 3 goals in 90 seconds is not uncommon at all. We had a team down 6-0 at our last tournament and the final score was 9-8 and we are a 6th grade team. They never took the free clear and they almost came back and beat us, but in essence they acted like they won the game and in many ways they did win and they learned. At what point is it acceptable to not have that rule, middle school, high school...when is the mental fortitude sufficient to handle getting beaten by a large margin? I am guessing you guys have a lot of "participation" trophies on the mantle.

Seems like you are agreeing with yourself.

As the other poster said so well, this is a long standing rule that any reasonable adult gets. I have never heard a kid on either side complain about a free clear. Never heard a parent complain either, until now.

If you get some type of satisfaction out of a 12-1 victory by 5th graders, that's pretty sad.

Good luck in your quest.