Originally Posted by Anonymous
I agree with the original post. Integrity is playing the game the right way. You kidding me with the mercy rule. Most good teams I play DON"T take the free clear. I guarantee you post this on the Long Island Forum people agree with him. Maybe in a B bracket I can see it. But it looks like this was an A bracket and I looked it up on tourney machine and it looks like LOONEYS actually won the whole tournament. How can you have a winner in the A bracket that takes the Free Clear end up being the A bracket champion...Ouch.

1. How do you get better on face offs if you take the free clear. I have been down 11-0 and then win 4/5 face offs in the second half. That doesn't happen if you take the free clear.
2. Sports teaches you life lessons that is the beauty of sports. Life is hard. You face challenges, sometime you are up against all odds you think handing kids the ball because the score is a bit lopsided fortifies and prepares our kids for life. Or do yo think it reinforces when things get tough look for someone to bail you out.
3. I agree with you do you think anyone remembers the score a year later. Of course not so toughen up and take your lumps and learn from them.
4. Four goals is NOTHING in a lacrosse game. How does the team that takes the free clear benefit if they end up winning the game. You take 3 free clears and then win the game by 1...that is really awkward.
5. There is nothing wrong with losing and losing by a lot.... if anything you learn more.

You guys must play in the baseball league where there are no strikeouts...you get to keep on swinging until Johnny gets a hit....god forbid Johnny has to go through the mental torment and angst of striking out.

Oh boy....

Congrats to you for hardening your kids in the crucible of 5th grade lacrosse. At this age it should be fun and fair=fun.

Having been on both sides of lopsided games can say from experience that nobody learns anything, once they start holding their sticks across their helmets and dragging them on the ground they are done, learning opportunity gone. Usually not so much fun for the winners either, they get it.

No dog in this fight, my kid is in HS. Been there, done that, got lots of t-shirts...keep it fun.