Originally Posted by CageSage
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I have a question. At what age group does talent win out over favoritism toward a lesser talented kid who has connections? Will it ever? Please be respectful just curious. Open to any travel club cause i'm sure it gous on all over. Thanks in advance.
We will offer you some personal observations on this topic albeit from a long term club/elite level coaching experience.

Up until our girls team was a U/12 squad, we kept the group together as a largely town entity. When the team was U/13, an interesting twist had taken place. About half of the team was a premier caliber group and about half the team was a solid, albeit not terribly committed, club (town) team.

During the transition from U/13 to U/14, our coaching staff needed to make the decision as to whether to follow the town approach (and lose the upper half of the team to other top level programs) or move into the premier ranks and make some serious roster changes at our next tryouts.

Based on the fact that the coaches chose to move down the premier league path, some serious cuts were made after the U/13 season and those roster positions were filled with other, and yes, better, players.

We arranged for every cut player to play with our "B" team or if that was not their desired path of action, we made calls to their desired club (since we knew most of the other coaches involved).

Long story for a short answer : the transition takes place in that U/13 to U/14 season.

Cage great insight.

How long ago were your girls u/12. I have seen both the boys and girls scene change dramatically the past 6 years and the age seems to be lower and lower each year.

my family ranges
girls: from 1st year college not playing to 3rd grade
Boys: out of college to 4th grade

In watching the girls younger grades some of these towns have skill for their age. Current 4th graders are doing now what 8th graders did 5 years ago (and their 5th grade teams are a step ahead of that).

but since the question was favortism over talent I would agree at 12 or 13 you must let the girls and families know where they stand. You helping find another program is great to hear and the way it should be if you were truly their coach and mentor. You cant call yourself a coach if you just leave a player you coached for years without options. (a quality lost on youth coaches these days who are looking for the best for their child).

We must remember, if a player has a passion to play they is always a place for them to play.

All of this doesnt minimize the fact of how hard this must have been to do. I dont envy you or anyone in that spot.