Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My oldest son is an August birthday who we decided was not ready to start Kindergarten 8 days after he turned 5, we also didn't think showing up on a college campus a week or so after turning 18 would be in HIS best interest. We made that decision with zero thought about him gaining an advantage in youth sports. In fact when that decision was made and until Club lacrosse changed years later he always played with the Class of 2020 where his BIRTHDATE dictated he play in ALL sports. Emotionally, socially, and academically it was the correct decision for our son, but he is technically a holdback. For much of his youth career he actually paid the price being the youngest kid on his teams with none of his friends from school on his teams.

My second oldest, has a March birthday, is a true class of 2022 player, but has been playing 2021 since he was in 3rd grade and continues to play 2021 this year. Using him as an example, he is a strong player in 2021, would be a very good player in 2022 with his classmates, he might look like an All American if he stepped into a 2023 game.

The point is this, for all the debate about holdbacks, I'm not sure the current class of 2021 or 2022 parent's foresaw the change in rules and leagues that allowed for grade based lacrosse. I hope it's a stretch to say anyone looked at their son or daughter at 5 in the year 2007 or 2008 and thought, I'm going to have them repeat a grade so they can gain an advantage because they may go to grade based club lacrosse in 2014.

Clearly kids repeating 7th or 8th grade fall under a different microscope, but let's not forget we all as Parent's are or should be making decisions that are in that child's best interest. Furthermore, while this is a great sport, at the collegiate level being a recruited player often amounts to little more then admissions preference and a slight reduction in tuition and costs.

You have a rational reason for your Aug son. I along with hopefully everyone has no problem with whatever decision you make for your son.

Yes there are some that do make their decision to hold their child back in prefirst for sports. I know of several. But I would suspect for the majority it is what is best for their child. But once again..who really cares what you do with your child. Hold him back ten times if you think that is right. It is your responsibility.

The issue most have is that your August child gets an advantage other same EXACT birthday children dont receive in YOUTH sports. Youth sports is not for carving out and letting select children get an advantage others dont.

Youth sports is about some resemblance of fair play. Age based seems to be the best solution and generally stops any shenanigans that parents and Club do when basing it on other parameters ( grade) . While your son if played 2021 would generally always be in top 5% of oldest kids playing due to birthday only a few days from cutoff, there would be some grade based holdbacks who are born 6 months to 10 months from cutoff , These kids are older by 6-10 months minimum to over 18 -22 months older than some kids?? . And that advantage is for the entire time they are in YOUTH sports?? Doesnt seem right.

exactly right