Replayed from the Main Message Board, this discussion covers the value of Verbal Commitments and the frequency of withdrawals of those offers.

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Schools do take back verbals either they over commit or you can't make the grades. It happens ALL the time!!!!
No, it does not happen all the time - as a matter of fact, a rescinded verbal agreement is so rare that new coaches coming into a program will honor commitments made by the prior coaching staff.

Rarely will grades result in an issue with most mid-tier Division I programs. Often times, the grade transcript will be prequalified even during sophomore year. The grades combined with the expected course load (AP, Honors) will yield a fairly accurate academic picture. Board scores can throw the process off course, but generally there is some flexibility among the mid-tier schools on this point.

That said, top academic schools (Top 40 according to US News and World Reports) will require more stringent academic standards and those guidelines will be substantially less flexible for all but the very top recruits in a given year.

Originally Posted by Anonymous
I have been through the process and it happened to my daughter who on my opinion is better off and happy where she is playing. So don't think that book is closed when you verbal it does happen.
BOTC would welcome the name of the institution which withdrew their verbal agreement with your daughter. We suspect that there was more involved that just a grade situation and would therefore welcome slightly more information.