Originally Posted by baldbear
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I think people over estimate top talent and system. If players ratings and hype were everything ND and a duke would be better. Fit is everything

Agreed. In my experience, girls from outside of LI do not 'fit' well at a place like SB or Hofstra, or even an Adelphi. It's not that they aren't talented, it's just a different culture. The 'outside' girls think they're going to like it, but when they get there reality hits and they realize it's not what they thought, and are very prone to leave after freshman year. So, JS HAS to pull from LI mostly because he's not going to get much talent from anywhere else. And when you have to pull your resources from a single area eventually it will dry up. Also, what happens when he has a bad season? The local talent will then just go somewhere else, where the coach isn't difficult to tolerate, and the area is nicer. Ut's gonna happen.

Why would LI dry up? New class graduates every year.

In a macro-sense the statement is true, but not the near future. Here are two reasons why. The lower grade classes in Long Island towns with strong lacrosse programs are at all time lows. Smaller pools of talent will result in weaker overall players. In addition other traditional Long Island towns are having children age population swings to cultures that are not lacrosse oriented. The combination will have an affect on the overall quality of talent on Long Island.

I guess you're referring to Manhasset here? I don't know of any other traditionally strong towns that are experiencing significant changes.