Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
As a mother of a high school defender I agree, just once it would be nice to be recognized.She works very hard as I'm sure many do.

We know who this mom is. Her poor daughter never gets any credit or recognition. We know we know everybodys been hearing it for years

I was that mom too. I know how you feel.

And to the person who said the worst athletes (I'm paraphrasing) become goalies, maybe that's true in elementary school but is not at all true as the girls get older. No, my child is not a goalie. But if you can't move then you aren't much of a keeper.

Defense is its own skill set. My daughter now plays D in college and anyone with an experienced eye can see who the "true" defenders are versus who got moved back or is a middie coming back to defend. Those are the players that get beat time and again. They don't see the roll or the dodge coming, they have a tough time anticipating a slide (or even sliding, period), they don't see the open player, and they often get frustrated and then the hacks and pushes come. Everybody has a role to play. I once spoke to a dad I know whose daughter was a nationally recognized attacker and he told me "anyone can be a defender, you just have to stand there." I was flummoxed. That was so patently untrue and showed his bias toward the offense.