Originally Posted by Anonymous
"Ok so let me get this straight..1.play down to your opponents level. 2. Don't score too many goals (you'll [lacrosse] off the jealous dad on botc) 3. Let the other team score so they dont feel bad. Most of those girls on the leaderboard are great players and are going to great colleges. Oh wait they must have fooled all those college coaches but not you almighty one. The Riverhead girls are good players its not their fault who their competiton is...and they do score against good teams. Maybe not as many...its called defense."

So you think teams should score as much as possible no matter the level of competition, makes you seem like a loser . Go look at the most recent games of the top teams in Suffolk in every division A,B,C,D, each played non competitive games , each spread the scoring out , none of these teams let ball hog players pad their stats . The Riverhead girls are average at best and would not be able to score against those top teams previously mentioned so they pad their stats against weak competition ,it's sad .

Why are you so obsessed with how many goals other girls have. Worry about your own daughter. And no, I am not a loser. Please don't call people names.

I am not obsessed with how many goals any individual has, poor sportsmanship is a pet peeve of mine. If a team outscored an overmatched opponent by more than 20 I generally have an issue ,if in a blowout an individual puts up an unnecessary amount of points I have an issue with that. My kid lays on a sub par team and regularly gets blown out by 20, its gets real old watching a few ball hogs on the other team score over and over. Get your lead put your back ups in and if they score so be it but to leave your starters or have a few ball hogs run up their numbers is ridiculous.

What if that ball hog won the draw, worked her butt of getting the ground balls and got knocked down a few times in the meantime?

Ball hog is a ball hog. Not every player who scores a lot of goals is a ball hog. Everybody except the player and the players parents knows the difference. Some coaches apparently can't tell the difference either.

Selfish players will almost always hurt their team. The worst part about it is the player and the parents do not care. As long as they score goals everything is okay. The parents are usually non athletes or maybe played something in HS but thats about it. They do not understand the game so the only thing they can recognize is a goal. Selfish play is easy to spot and ugly to watch and is detrimental to the team.

There are some really great players who happen to score a lot of goals. They are not all ball hog. There are also some very selfish players who try to go to the goal as soon as they get the ball. They sometimes score a lot of goals but they are far from being good players. Worse than the standard run of the mill ball hog is the lazy player who also happens to be a ball hog. Start watching players when they do not have the ball. Watch them on both ends of the field. Watch them redefend. Watch when they are off ball (on offense and defense). Watch the effort, watch the communication, watch how they work and help their team. Then watch the ones who loaf around and wait for the ball. Watch the ones who start running with the ball every time they get it even when they should be passing. Watch the ones who try to run through three girls. It is easy to spot the ball hogs.
Good coaches will not put up with it. Bad coaches don't know what to do.

If your team has them good luck to you because the odds are that they will cost you when it matters.

You described this perfectly especially about what ball hogs do off ball. I played in college and this is hardest type of player to watch or play with.