Originally Posted by Anonymous
They are fun to watch, 3 shameless ball hogs w a coach who has no clue . Plenty of other talented kids on that team but the 3 ballhogs are complete black holes , gross .

What team are you talking about?

Who cares what team? Ball hog is a ball hog, blame the coach. If a player repeatedly runs to the goal every time she touches the ball and the coach does not correct the problem it is on the coach. Selfish play will rarely be rewarded with a championship.

It really doesn't matter what team they are talking about, selfish play is ugly and is detrimental to the team. Most teams will actually play better without the ball hogs. Not making the pass also hurts on the defensive end as well as in transition. When the selfish player does not pass the ball when it should be passed the entire flow is disrupted and opportunities are missed. Not passing when you should will also result in additional turnovers.

A team will always play better without selfish players.

No kidding Einstein thanks for the lesson in ball hogging. The person called out 3 ball hogs and a coach...I have a right to ask who they are talking about. By the way if someone has a lot of goals doesnt necessarily mean they are a ball hog. There are plenty of ways to score then just barreling down the field. Dont judge because your little Mary cant get it in the back of the cage.

And there are plenty of ways to ball hog other than just barreling down the field. I think the most resentment seems to be the kids that put up big numbers against obviously overmatched teams as in the Riverhead ,Lindy game. The coaches obviously have no control over their players or parents in these type situations. I don't blame the coaches as much as the parents . No coach wants a few ball hogs lighting it up in lopsided games, the kids themselves all know what they are doing is gross and an embarrassment but mom and dad tell them they better do it so they have a choice , embarrass themselves and be a poor teammate or go home to an angry mom and dad who belittle them if they don't. Not an easy choice for these kids to make but mom and dad are so proud they have pushed their kid to be at the top of the leaderboard, congrats to them on a parenting job well done. I think most parents including myself have been guilty of this to varying degrees but now I am more proud when they are good teammates and show better sportsmanship.

Ok so let me get this straight..1.play down to your opponents level. 2. Don't score too many goals (you'll [lacrosse] off the jealous dad on botc) 3. Let the other team score so they dont feel bad. Most of those girls on the leaderboard are great players and are going to great colleges. Oh wait they must have fooled all those college coaches but not you almighty one. The Riverhead girls are good players its not their fault who their competiton is...and they do score against good teams. Maybe not as many...its called defense.

Riverhead is a very young team that starts a lot of Freshman and Sophomores.They have definitely been overmatched by a couple of schools like Ward Melville and Middle Country, like most teams have this year, but overall they have shown a lot of improvement and have some good wins too. The three top girls do a lot of scoring but they are deeper than just the three girls. A lot of goals are scored against the weaker teams and it does help their stats, but that happens on a lot of teams a combination of coaching and ballhogging. Looking at yesterdays game they had 18 goals scored by 8 girls with 11 assists. That doesn't seem out of line with what goes on against teams like that, doesn't look any different than the boxscore from the ward Melville 16-2 game against Lindenhurst the other day. Just a couple of years ago teams did the same to Riverhead.