Originally Posted by Anonymous
I guess I was reading down from the top and I saw an M&D mention and just typo'd it. Sentiment stills applies though. And, my comment was not directed at any one parent on any one club, but all parents on all clubs, although TLC, Heros, M&D and SW have more than their share of over-zealous former athletes. Like I said in my post, the coaches see and hear everything on the field and ON THE SIDELINE. I know first-hand. They bring 2 or 3 coaches to watch a game for a reason: one watching/listening to your little darlings on the field and one watching/listening to the the parents (plus maybe a 3rd). They're not drawing doodles on their tablets or notepads, they're taking notes on player performance, attitude, drama queenism (one of my biggest pet peeves), hustle, etc. And, they're watching you too. So, mind your manners if you want your little Hey-Look-At-Me shoe wearing, ultra-bright pony tail wearing, loud-mouth talking offspring to get that 100% scholly to the University of Wherever.

I find it comical you only call out the parents of the more competitive teams over the others. My guess is your player doesn't play for one of them.

I think he called out the more competitive teams not because his daughter doesn't play on one, but rather because that's where you'll find most of the pompous and self-absorbed parents. While the talent is unquestioned on those teams, in many cases the relationships between the girls on the roster and the parents one the sidelines is superficial at best. They don't play as a team, they play for individual accolades and the eye of college coaches. The parents are more concerned with their daughters stats than with the play of the team as a whole. If this is the behavior you want to model for your kid, be my guest. She's probably just as miserable as you are standing on the sideline watching another kid refuse to pass the ball and stumbles into triple coverage and turns the ball over.

Yes, thank you for translating. LOL. I've been on the sidelines many years, and the parents are a bigger problem than the players. I think that if the club coaches coached their kids to play as a team, the kids would do it. But, when little Suzy gets in the car after practice or is in the car on the way to a game, Over-Zealous Lax Dad (or Mom) tells her to GO TO THE GOAL!: So-and-So can't catch so don't pass it to her, GO TO THE GOAL! : The college coaches are watching so GO TO THE GOAL! SCORE! SCORE! SCORE!
What I'm trying to tell you all (remember I said earlier from FIRST-HAND experience) is that the college coaches see, hear and watch it ALL. Not just the "Hey-Look-At-Me" shoe wearing kid, but also the kid who scraps for every ground ball, the kid who gets up after getting knocked down and hustles back to try to make a play, the kid who IS NOT a drama-queen (I hate the ones who are "hurt" after they score, or the ones who flop, or the ones who complain after every call) etc. No drama queens make my list. AND...they also see and listen to the parents, to see how they behave. If a parent is a GO TO THE GOAL! kind of [lacrosse], a lot of coaches do not want that type of problem for 4 years. In college, Little Hey-Look-At-Me shoe wearer will have to wear the team shoes and won't stand out any more. [lacrosse], she may not play at all for a year or two. How is Over-Zealous Lax Dad (or Mom) gonna handle that? So, if a coach doesn't want to deal with a potential problem parent, she may cross-off Little Hey-Look-At-Me shoe wearer, regardless of talent or how many goals she scores, and go with another player who better fits the team and whose parents are an asset to the team and player. And, you're also correct in your statement that this is more prevalent on the teams I listed above, and that's why I called them out. Think about this; How do you think teams that aren't as successful as the teams I listed above still manage to send kids to college? Because generally, they're on clubs that promote team play over individual play and, trust me, it is noticed and rewarded by college coaches. I'll take team chemistry over Hey-Look-At-Me shoe wearer any day. And, you guys assume I'm male.

My oldest daughter (now playing mid-level D1) went the "top" club route for 6 years. She never really developed any truly close bonds with more than a couple of girls due to real and imagined competition with her teammates. It was clearly more about the individuals and their quest to be recruited. As her dad, I was forced to spend hundreds of hours with the parents of these girls who thought, and often implied, that the other girls were fortunate to be on the same field as their kid. I'm taking a different approached now with my middle schooler. She is on a club that has plenty of talent, but not stacked from roster spot 1-25. Both kids and parents are a breath of fresh air from what we experienced on our first go round. If you're going to be spending countless hours at lacrosse tournaments across the mid-Atlantic, it's better to enjoy it than tolerate it.

Been there too. Only 1 more year and then we are done. I wished we would've changed club a few year back.