Originally Posted by Anonymous
[quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous]Serious question from a new lax mom. If a student plays D2 and wants to transfer to play D1- how easy is it? Has anyone had this experience?

I am not 100% sure... But, I think it is pretty easy. It is my understanding that when a "scholarship" athlete transfers from one school to another they are not eligible to play for period of one year. However, If the coach is willing to sign a "release" then the player can participate immediately. If there is no athletic scholarship involved then the player can transfer and be eligible with no penalty. It is also my understanding that if the coach does not sign the release then the coach "can not" use the scholarship for another athlete.

I would check the NCAA website or call them for clarification.

Does not apply between Divisions. i.e. D1 can go to D2 without penalty, and D2 to D3. Works the same for moving up Divisions as well. The player will only have to sit out if the are transferring within divisions (D1 to D1). Most coaches will sign a release as long as player is not transferring into the same conference or to a team it plays regularly (regionally).

Good luck.