Originally Posted by Anonymous
Any body see API/Crabs OT game yesterday? Impressions?
It was a really good and competitive game. Crabs first game in league, while API 3rd game in league and second game in 3 days. They were the more "prepared" team with a somewhat greater confidence at first. They rolled out the zone and slowed the game down. They controlled faceoffs. Good goal defense kept things close, and as game wore on, Crabs seem to gain confidence and play more loosely.

Also watched RR versus Team 91. Also a very evenly matched and competitive game. RR was up 3-1 but lost 4-3. The RR defense was awesome throughout, but offense was small and overmatched also by a ferocious 91 defense. Neither team has a "dodger" of great ability (sorry Mark) and goals were scored in mostly unsettled situations. #15 on RR defense had three separate breakaways that he failed to score on, and had he been successful even once, I am pretty sure that would have changed momentum. Anyway, two great games. Agree that Hawks/Bethesda are presently at the top of the pyramid with Next Level, FCA at the bottom. Everyone else seems to have the capacity to win any game it plays.

No great dodgers! Thats gonna hurt!!

Dodging is hard when the defense is a packed in zone that is very quick to slide. Until these kids start feeding better once the slide comes, the defenses will continue to play this way and no one will look like a great dodger.

I wasn't referring to "no great dodgers" in the API/Crabs game. Rather the comment was associated with the RR/91 game in which neither team deployed a zone defense. Both team offenses in that game included a lot of offensive "standing around" and back and forth movement at the "x". 91 had one really good top down cutter at the 3-2 mark which was a thing of beauty, but that was the highlight of offensive play in that game. Hope that clears things up. Completely agree with your point about a zone defense collapsing on a dodger -- very evident in the API/Crabs game -- and the collapsing also eliminated a lot of space to make the pass at the slide as well. I just thought it was a great scheme that evened the skill level of the teams involved, and slowed down the game.