Originally Posted by Anonymous
AND THE AGE MATTERS WHY?? THIS AGE THING NEVER GOES AWAY. WHO CARES..IF YOU TELL ME NOW THEY GET AN ADVANTAGE IN COLLEGE BECAUSE OF THIER AGE ILL LAUGH...GO BACK OT THE YOUTH BOARDS IF YOU WANT TO WHINE ABOUT AGE

Why are you yelling? most kids are graduating college at 21, not entering. And, if you think there isn't a difference in an athlete at 18 and one at 21, you are kidding yourself.

But, you don't get to control the age of college student athletes, so I think the point is, shut up about it. Having the holdback argument is painful enough at the youth level, almost unbearable at the high school level, but to have it at the adulthood level is just literally irrelevant.

oh so there could be a 30 year old freshman playig Div1 sports, i dont think so.

Yes. D1 eligibility clock starts once you are enrolled in school. You have 4 years of eligibility, with 5 year limit to finish. Clock doesn't stop, except for some limited exceptions (military, missionary work, etc). If you play for a year, then leave to serve in the military, the clock stops and resumes if you re-enroll in school. So, simply stated, the answer to your question is - yes.

In rare cases, you can also petition the NCAA to delay the start of your 5 year clock if you get injured VERY early on - I know a D I lacrosse player that blew out his knee in the first fall scrimmage on the very first shift, and he maintained his full eligibility after the petition.