Originally Posted by Anonymous
I actually wasn't the one comparing the LI vs NY numbers there is more than one person posting here. Not knowing your age can't speculate but it will happen in my lifetime. LI and MD will always have a depth of talent, yes, due to generational advantages that can't be surpassed. But the elite offensive talent pendulum is shifting to Canada and that is beyond refute. This coupled with torrid adoption and availability/accessibility to elite coaching will further validate the shift.

Take a look at the scoring leaderboard at the NCAA D1 level and you will see LI well represented; however, non traditional sources as well as Canadian representation is disproportional to your point. I don't include defense talent in this discussion but I am confident that would further skew the numbers away from LI. I simply include offensive representation as to me reconciles with skill.

I have seen Philly evolve from stud defenseman and goalies to now include consistent elite offensive talent. Certainly not taking away from LI success, beyond reproach. However as per the "Outliers" it takes only three requirements. Starting at the age of 5, optimized repetitions, and I would throw in top notch coaching.

I absolutely see your point, and agree with you on many fronts. Philly is growing and there are some really great things happening, there is no denying that. I just don't see the pool of talented players in Philly nearly as deep as the numbers that I see every day on LI. Like I said, a stud athlete anywhere in the world will be a stud lax player given the resources; however, I don't know how many Philly kids are actually picking up sticks at 5. I know on LI, the answer is most. That doesn't mean that they will all be great lax players, but it does mean that they will have more opportunities to grow because it is literally everywhere. As far as coaching goes, many of the guys I know played in HS and college. They know the game upside and down and we still play in over 40 leagues. We can teach our kids in our backyards as well as anyone. I feel that the talent pool is much larger and I think it will be for awhile. One poster mentioned guys like Rambo, McBride, Sowers and Ament (all studs, by the way), but only McBride is in the top 10 in scoring while O'Keefe, Bruckner, Molloy, Moore and Guterding are and they are LI guys. Yes, Canada and NJ and Mass, and Upstate NY are represented, but not en masse.

It's not a slight on Philly. I love the city! I love Montgomery and Bucks Counties... they're beautiful! I just think that the region has a ways to go before comparing it to traditional areas.