Originally Posted by Anonymous
I agree. I'm not going to defend Madlax, or any club for that matter. I understand the Madlax coach has a reputation and a lot of people bring up the Email fiasco as an example. I would argue that a lot, not all, but a lot of clubs and their coaches have a checkered past and much of it happens in private where not many can see.

You probably mean well, but you are enabling his terrible behavior by supporting him financially and by making these kind of statements. There are equal or better options than Madlax if you want great instruction, teammates and competition for you son. But even if Madlax was the only game in town, think about what you are telling your kid by having him play for that guy. You're saying that it's ok to play for him because the owner didn't threaten your son, only somebody else's son.

Using the "everyone else does it" rationale is sad. Think about all those gymnasts who have abused by coaches. Would it be right to tell your kid to continue to train under a suspected pedophile because a) it's a good club and b) other coaches are suspected of doing the same thing?

I don't see how my comment can be interpreted as though I am enabling anyone. The second point I was trying to make is that there are a lot of good programs, with mostly good coaches, who may behave at their worst at times. I am not suggesting that it is okay; simply stating that it probably happens a lot more than we may know about within other programs besides Madlax and 9d1. As far as Madlax goes, they have provided great instruction to my child, my son enjoys his teammates and they all seem to come from good families as far as I can tell, and he has experienced good competition since joining. I did not hear his coach threaten anyone last week; from reading the posts it sounds like that was the other coach (MM). With all that being said, my only loyalty is to God and my family. If I felt as though my son was in an abusive environment or was being mistreated by anyone in the program we would not be a part of the program, because as you accurately pointed out, there are many other options. However, if everyone's skeletons were out of the closet then those options may not be as plenty as you and I think...

I think the person was saying that by supporting Madlax, you are enabling the owner's bad behavior. It is a fact that the email was not an isolated incident - he has threatened and treated many of his families like crap. But even if it was a one time thing, you are impliciting saying it's ok as long as it's not your son. By having your son play for him and give him your money, you are giving your stamp of approval. If that's ok with your conscience, then fine.

I really hope you are not a 91 parent. The lacrosse community is keenly aware of MM's treatment of his players and opposition. Anyone putting money in his pocket is enabling his behavior.