Originally Posted by baldbear
Originally Posted by Anonymous
It's interesting to me that you all feel that playing D1 women's lax is such a burden . I say this because my oldest is a sophomore at a top 10 D1 lax program and does not indicate it being overwhelming . I have never pushed her to play ( have always pushed her to well in all she does ) and have always said grades come first and if lax becomes too much just quit. They do miss classes for travel but the time spent practicing , running , lifting in season is not much greater than in high school if at all.
Definitely some social sacrifices made if your kid is a big party / drinking kid but they do have some fun .

Only 52% of D1 student/athletes play the full four years over the last ten years. I have been following the 2013 class and it is at 53% (part of a study for USA Lacrosse). The overwhelming reason is that the lax practice, travel and playing is a burden on the student's grades, social life and well being (a distant second is injury). This issue, along with early recruiting practices, is a major concern.

Thanks for a dose of reality, Baldbear. All three of my kids played D1, only one in lacrosse, and that was what I saw as well across sports.