Originally Posted by baldbear
Originally Posted by Anonymous
It's interesting to me that you all feel that playing D1 women's lax is such a burden . I say this because my oldest is a sophomore at a top 10 D1 lax program and does not indicate it being overwhelming . I have never pushed her to play ( have always pushed her to well in all she does ) and have always said grades come first and if lax becomes too much just quit. They do miss classes for travel but the time spent practicing , running , lifting in season is not much greater than in high school if at all.
Definitely some social sacrifices made if your kid is a big party / drinking kid but they do have some fun .

Only 52% of D1 student/athletes play the full four years over the last ten years. I have been following the 2013 class and it is at 53% (part of a study for USA Lacrosse). The overwhelming reason is that the lax practice, travel and playing is a burden on the student's grades, social life and well being (a distant second is injury). This issue, along with early recruiting practices, is a major concern.

i am surprised that it is even that high . I wonder how much actual playing time impacts that number . I would think lack of playing time may be the biggest issue which is something that many of the athletes are hesitant to indicate as their primary reason causing them to stop playing .