Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by baldbear
There seems to be some dialogue as to "what is a better school". The mixture of sports life, class work and your own student's desire is an almost impossible equation that if you hit on all three I applaud you. But to single out a particluiar school, such as Boston College or Northwestern (NW in particular carries a lot of passion on this board) is ignorant.

In years past large schools were able to recruit below their acceptance levels due too scale. You have a 40,000 student body so recruiting 500 students below the acceptance levels was OK--especially in money sports (men's football and basketball). But it carried over to other sports for "prestige".

The Ivies and Little Ivies were the exception. You still needed to meet the acceptance standards. But not long ago that changed--again in the money sports but for the Ivies it was men's basketball. I'm not saying they reduced the standards like other schools (lets face it, Kentucky has no standards for its basketball program; they only stay a year), but they tweaked it just enough to get a qualit's player (Lin). That network money come tournament time was nice!

So you see t his now through all levels of college sports. The Ivies are still tough, don't get me wrong, but they have a bit of flexibility. NESCAC schools on the D3 level are the same way. You still need to in the top 10 percentile, good test scores, etc.

Jobs! That's why we send our students to the same schools, right? I'm a Villanova graduate and in my day went to Haverford down the road for some parties. Became friendly with a Haverford student who said, with a bit of superiority, "You go to Villanova? You'll work for me someday". Funny thing is I did and it worked out for both of us. Friend to this day.

My point is you have a student that wants to be a doctor, engineer, etc they better be extraordinary to make it as a D1 student. That's why you see a lot of Communication majors in D1. Slide over to D3, and the NESCAC (which I know well) and you have pre-law, pre-med, finance, graduate school candidates--it's a different deal. So if you want your student to have a good job maybe a finance degree from Middlebury will get them that Wall Street job better than a communications degree from Northwestern (just using NW because it's such a target on this thread!).

The worst school is not a school by name but when a student picks a school for all the wrong reasons.

While most of that makes sense the problem is generally when people on this site are trying to judge what those wrong reasons are for other peoples kids. Boston College was singled out because some blowhard decided the students graduating from there were automatically better qualified compared to several other universities . There are many variables that go into what school is best for each student .

That's BC mindset in a nutshell, snobbish vineyard vines wearing a-holes from LI, CT, NJ, MD & MA

Boston College is a good school with a good lacrosse program. If it is the right place for your daughter then it is a great place. They get some great players and they get some average players (average for a good DI program). Just about all of the girls playing there are pretty darn good and I am sure they are good students as well. That is the same at every school (including Maryland, North Carolina, Florida etc...) not every player at Maryland is better than every player at Boston College.

Many on this site try to justify and or pump up their daughters choice of school by putting down or diminishing other schools or programs. Stony Brook supports trying to tear down Northwestern, Boston College Supporters putting down Maryland, Florida and Penn State. NESCAC supporters touting that they choose DIII because of the academics as if none of the student athletes at Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Stanford, Penn, Duke, Hopkins, Dartmouth, Brown, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Vaderbilt, Georgetown, Virginia, Army, Navy etc.... do not focus on academics.

Correction**

*NESCAC supporters touting that they choose DIII because of the academics as if the student athletes at Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Stanford, Penn, Duke, Hopkins, Dartmouth, Brown, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Vaderbilt, Georgetown, Virginia, Army, Navy etc.... do not focus on academics.

Be happy that your daughters are healthy. Bitterness, jealousy and hate are not good traits to pass on to your daughter.