Originally Posted by Anonymous
Not a fan of SB head coach, but to be fair he played 26 players yesterday

Will they see any real competition this season?

Stony Brook saw Towson and they were lucky to get the win, I would say they have seen real competition already. Stony Brook has certainly improved and they have been very strong for the past four or five years but their strength of schedule is not on par with the top teams in the country and I think that has hurt them. Playing a challenging schedule may result in a less impressive regular season record but it prepares the team for post season play.

While the weaker schedule might be true, Stony Brook cannot help the quality of their conference.

If you compare the schedules of SB and MD. Right now SB plays 6 top 20 teams and MD plays 8, not that much of a difference. I guess if you add in the conference play offs that number goes up for MD, but I think SB plays enough tough competition during the regular season to be ready for the play-offs. I know from my own college experience teams do not love traveling to Long Island. As we all know it is not easy to get around even if you are flying in. I do not know the workings but maybe it is hard to get a home and away game contract with some of the top teams. You never know what goes on behind the scenes. It might be apples and oranges but I know Delaware would be willing to play Hofstra in football at home but would never agree to play at Hofstra until it became a conference game. Maybe JS faces similar situations when it comes to scheduling non-league games.