Originally Posted by Anonymous
Here's a novel alternative to using club lax to get recruited: Go juco for a year or two. Here's my reasoning: Over seven summers of club lax we estimated that we spent over $30k for club lax. Dues, travel, swag, etc. After all that, my daughter received $11k a year at a D1 school. She wound up not liking it and transferred to a juco. She's playing at the juco, on a good team, for $4k per year. There are already some 4 year schools that knows she will be available soon. As I see it, that's a huge monetary difference. She still gets to play lax for reduced tuition and still gets a 4 year degree after she transfers. Some of the better jucos scrimmage NCAA D1, 2 and teams and some NAIA teams, and sometimes beat them handily. There is no wlax pro league. No big payout in the end. Do the math.

Juco has always been a great idea for all kids (academic kids also) 2 years on the cheap, then much easier to get into colleges that wouldn't have accepted you out of HS but will as a transfer. Its a status thing. Athletes and most academic kids don't want that 2 year thing they look down upon it (I bet they wouldn't if these kids were paying their own way) but they know that mommy and daddy have been driving them to Maryland every summer weekend since Kindergarten so Mommy and Daddy will surely pay for a 4 year school

That sounds good...what are some of the good jucos?

Monroe CC, Onondaga CC, Anne Arundel CC, Harford CC, Howard CC. Monroe hasn't lost a game in four years. Unfortunately there are not many juco programs. It would be nice if more community colleges sponsored wlax and it would be nice for some of the huge number of the west coast jucos to jump on board. I saw that Monroe scrimmaged Grand Valley State, Michigan, Quinnipiac and Rochester (not sure of the results), and Anne Arundel scrimmaged NAIA Tennessee Wesleyan, D3 Berry College, D2 Bloomsburg and D3 Lycoming. From what I was told, Anne Arundel beat Tenn Wesleyan by 10, and lost the other three by a combined 8 goals (I know one of the parents). So, there is some good lax played at some the jucos.

I would like to know what school those girls from juices move on to.