Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Here's just a little info on the whole early recruiting process.
My 2016 daughter was fairly highly recruited: 8 schools from Hofstra in the north to University of Florida in the south. She committed to a D1 during the summer after sophomore year. She was very excited about her choice and so were we. She moved into school in early September last year and all was going well...fall ball, school, etc. Played very well and started some of the games during fall. All of a sudden,yesterday she informs me that she does not want to go back. I asked how long she's felt this way and she said since she moved. Wow! So, she called her coach yesterday and went and visited with her today. The coach told her that she was a big part of the teams upcoming season and hated to lose her. They talked for several hours, and some of the upper classmen talked to her, all to no avail. In the end she chose to leave and signed her release paperwork. Now she's on her way back home. Here's what I thought: That my daughter would never do this. She's very responsible, great student, takes care of her business, works hard, etc. She loves working out and didn't think the practices were too hard. She ran her mile run test in 6:15. She has lots of friends and got along with her room mate very well. But, ultimately, she didn't "feel right" at the school. Just "off". She's going to go the local community college, which is always highly ranked, and play there and hopefully continue at another 4-year school that is more for her. Her former team treated her wonderfully, she loved the coaches, liked the school. It just didn't work. So, my advice to any parents and players is to choose your school wisely. Talk about all of the negatives as much as the positives. Talk about the "what ifs". And, most of all communicate a lot. Good luck to all going through the process now. It can be exciting, pressure packed and fun all at the same time. And, do not discount a D2 or D3 school. It's not all about D1. Good Luck to all.

That is great advice! Your daughter is not the only one! I have a son in a similar situation with basically the same story. Top recruit, starting on a top D1 program, but just isn't happy. People need to be careful what they wish for!

This happens with athletes and non-athletes. Kids change schools all the time, As with just about everything else in life it is a learning experience. View it as a positive. I am very happy for your daughter as she appears to have the courage to evaluate, make a decision and take action. Those traits will serve her well in life. The smartest people and the best leaders are the ones who are willing to adjust their sails and change course when necessary. Some say that only the strong survive and that it is survival of the fittest when in reality it is the one who is willing to change and adapt that will not only survive but thrive. It is less about your current situation or what has happened to you that impacts your future, it is all about the decisions you make and the action you take moving forward that will define who you are.

All the best to your daughter, please tell he to make her own way in the world. As we all know it is not a sprint and their will be plenty of bumps and curves in the road. She has a bright future with unlimited potential and opportunity.

That holds true for your son as well. It holds true for all of our kids.