Originally Posted by Anonymous
My son has very high scholarship but does not enjoy playing lacrosse as much as he used to. He says all the players are changing their majors to easier ones because it's too hard. The coaches make them practice more than they're supposed to and are very hard on them. He would love to quit but can't due to financial reasons. Boys at Ivies are getting no financial help. My question is if a kid not getting much money, why would he stay on the team? It's a full time job with no pay. Once you get in, you're in, so it makes sense to focus on academics, not dead end lacrosse.

Great post. My oldest played at a D2 school, Received some athletic money but three times as much academic money. Won the D2 championship his sophomore season, got his ring and stopped playing. He was on the verge of losing his academic money because his grades were suffering. Playing a varsity sport in college s a full time job and many of these kids don't realize the time they will have to commit once they are there. After stopping playing my son concentrated on his studies and graduated with a 3.8GPA and a degree in his major in 4 years. he probably would have needed more years and not had as high a GPA if he had continued to play.

I'm calling BS on your post... I guess math is not your strong suit. If your son was almost losing his academic money his GPA was sub 3.0 (more likely in the 2.4 range to lose academic money) after freshman or sophomore year, and graduated in 4 years (lets assume 30 credit hours per year) there is no way he could achieve a 3.8 GPA, even if he got a 4.0 for 3 years in a row (and you said he quite after his sophomore year in danger of losing his academic money.) I guess he told you he had a 3.8 GPA and you believed it.

Not sure that is true - my older son (not participating in any NCAA athletics, but don;t this that is relevant to this discussion) has aid contingent based upon his maintaining a 3.2 GPA - so, I am sure there are varying requirements for different types of aid as well as differences between instituion.